Friday, June 28, 2013

FCA Camp: The Heart of my Summer

Ladies and gentlemen, friends and family, dudes and girls:

Man, I cannot even begin to tell you how stoked I am for the upcoming weeks. I would describe the upcoming two and a half weeks as the heart of my summer. If you have been following along with me in this journey in Cali, you know I have encountered some discouragement along the way, some rough patches in really seeking God in why I am over here. As mentioned before, I really am one who feels the need to always be doing something with people--hanging out, going places...this summer God has taught me to:

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” -Psalm 46:10

I have learned a lot about myself and God is showing me that I am truly nothing without Him. I need to rely on Him for true joy. People will fail me, just as I will fail others. God never will. 

Through the office work, I have helped in preparing for camp to take place by answering e-mails/phone calls from kids and their parents, coaches, and staff to make sure everything is organized for camp. I also have contributed in helping my supervisor, Brian, out with updated our housing list. Since we are expecting over 600 high school student athletes, you can imagine how much housing we will need on top of that with supporting staff, coaches, and huddle leaders. This has been a great experience seeing how things are run from an administrative point of view and has helped in honing my skills in organization and the more technical side--something you all may know needs improvement ;) just look at my Malibu back home for instance--everything and anything is piled in heaps in that vehicle I tell ya.

Anyways, a huddle leader is basically like a camp counselor. We have huddle leaders who are currently college athletes who truly love Jesus and are assigned a group of high-schoolers to their respective sport to minister to and invest in their lives for the week; making sure they go to their practices and worship, along with eating with them during meals and leading them through activities and Bible studies. I am going to be a basketball huddle leader for this week and will be leaving next Tuesday to get there early. That Wednesday starts huddle leader training--meeting all the other huddle leaders and getting prepared for what will take place at camp. I am so stoked to invest in the lives of the boys I will be assigned to and lead them through what I'm most passionate about--my faith and basketball. Please pray for me as I prepare even now--that I would be ready spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally to lead...that God would use all of me--every ounce of me--all for Him. I'm excited to meet fellow college athletes on fire for Christ, for the opportunity to train in Pauley Pavillion where the great John Wooden coached, and for what God is going to do in the lives of these kids coming to camp-many of whom do not know Christ as their personal Savior. I will also be serving at the UC Davis camp in northern Cali  from July 12-18 being a lacrosse huddle leader there. I am also stoked to see what God will be doing at this camp as well!

It's all about Jesus. Pure and simple. 


Here is a promo video for the upcoming UCLA Camp:


An example of what goes on at UCLA Camp:


UCLA and UC Davis Description:

No comments:

Post a Comment