Wednesday, July 10, 2013

UCLA FCA Camp: A Week to Remember

Wow.

I really cannot put words to describe how incredible this past week was, other than simply: wow.

I did not know truly what to expect. Yeah, I'm a veteran when it comes to camps, being around them ever since I can remember (shout out to UPBC!) From Michigan to Italy to London to Wales to Romania, I've seen how different camps are run and have always had tremendous experiences through each camp. Yet, at the start of this camp, I had my doubts and was nervous, as I knew I would be assigned a group of about 8 high school boys and didn't know if they would listen to anything I had to say at all. This also was different from the many camps I have been to, due to the fact that this was a pure athlete camp--with serious athletes from all different sports to hone their game. Whereas the other camps I was at didn't focus on good coaching necessarily. 

The first two days consisted of huddle leader training. What I absolutely loved about all this was the intentionality the staff put into planning and implementing this training. They realize the huddle leaders (counselors who lead a group of 8-10 boys or girls in high school in their respective sport) are the 'heartbeat' of camp. They are the ones who are hanging out with the kids the whole week investing in their lives and leading them in the huddle meetings, opening up the Word of God. 

Arriving at UCLA, I was tired and out of it. At the end of training, I was hype and so ready to minister to the boys. This week I really wanted to step out of the way and let God do His thing. If this were to be a successful week changing lives, I would need to completely surrender to God, come in clean without anything that would comporomise what I would be teaching these kids, and let God totally use me. I could absolutely not try to do this on my own. Something I shared at one of the huddle leader meetings, in front of everyone, that God placed on my heart was Philippians 2:5: "In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus". I encouraged fellow huddle leaders to serve each other this week, look for ways to not think about oneself but to serve our teenagers and when we go back home to our friends, family, and whomever God places into our lives. This week was not about us but about Jesus and the only way we'd be able to do that is looking to Jesus as the prime example. He came down from His Holy throne to serve sinners and take on the form of literally a slave, giving Himself up for us. If we all had the same mindset--that IT"S NOT ABOUT US--our relationships with each other would become so much better and our week would be great. I also said that guys may look to LeBron James as an example and girls may look to Reese Witherspoon (I know, random) as an example but the ONLY example we should look to in how to live is Jesus Christ.

We had a dance party/SpikeBall matchup on the fourth of July to get to know each other better and just celebrate before the campers all showed up. Man, I love to dance and have a good time so this was so much fun for me. I broke it down on the dance floor to some Gangam Style, Wobble, Katy Perry/Carly Rae Jepson, Thrift Shop, some country line dance...oh yeah, I'll dance to anything and tear it up. Met some cool peeps as well who love Jesus...

 Anthony plays football for Whitter College. Toba played soccer at Robert Morris. Frankie plays soccer at San Diego Christian.


I remember the night before, begging God that He would use me this week radically and that He would save souls...and that He would help me to lead my boys the right way, the way He would. When my campers came up and we first met, I laid down my expectations--that respect was huge for me. As long as they respected the camp, other leaders, and each other, we wouldn't have any problems. They all agreed and then we headed to Drake Stadium to take a camp-wide picture:


Camp picture with some fellow HL's. Ty and Christian play football at Citrus College. Lorenzo's from Compton and playing ball at Morehouse. Mack played ball at Princeton.


Before we took the picture, we had time to spend with our huddles and I rememer not really knowing what to say to these incoming freshman in high school boys--if I should be more strict, more cool, or what. But, when that thought hit I just surrendered that to God and He took over totally. I told them that we were a family. God placed us all here for a specific reason and that if we want to do well in our game, just like any champion team, we needed to develop team chemistry. They were on board with that from the start. Ever since then, they called each other family
Josh, Trevon, Stephen, Noah, Jack, Connor, Shane
Nicknames I gave them: Steve Harvey, Swag City, Shawty, Vanilla Ice, JackJack, Big C, Sox

Wow.

Again, without getting into too much detail because I want to respect what was said in our huddle--that it stays within Huddle 29, as we all keep each other accountable in our walks with Christ--this group truly was an encouragement to me in my walk with Christ. Right from the start--we knew we were family. It was the hardest thing ever for all of us to leave UCLA yesterday, back into the real world. Our conversations were genuine, as we talked about what the boys were struggling with back home, what persecutions they were facing either in their homes or at school, and action steps to bring with them back home in how to grow in their faith and tell others about the relentless love of Jesus. We hung out together, I coached them in basketball, we hooped together, we ate together, we all had fun, and we just bro'd out. I was just there as the facilitator to make sure they didn't do anything crazy--but I knew they wouldn't because that's the kind of kids they are--very respectful of me--so I just let them have fun, while at the same time bringing it back to being serious when we talked about life and while we studied the Bible. I told them to go back home and look to His Word as their GPS in life...that no matter what they go through, no matter what anyone may say about them...that this book is their guide. So, cling to it, underline it, study it...
We talked about anything and everything and made a pact to stay pure. I told them that no matter how immodest girls dress and no matter how luscious their words may be--to not use that as an excuse--we need to be MEN and take responsibility. I can't wait to see how God will use them throughout high school.



I shared my testimony the first night to them. I was completely transparent and vulnerable--not leaving out anything. I could tell how much they appreciated that and how much I gained their respect for the week because of it (it takes men to admit weakness and let Christ use Him through that). I told them I'm not by any means perfect but that I'm here to encourage you guys...that we are all on this same road and I may know a couple more things but that doesn't mean anything...don't take what I say or what anybody else says as the ultimate authority--look to Jesus as the perfect example of how to live your lives as men. 
(Note: Please come up to me and ask me in person for more stories of the incredible things that happened at camp. I can't share some of the stuff online but would love to tell you all in person.)

Man, these dudes were great. Some of them are going back to broken homes, so it's all God that He helped me get one of them hooked up with an area representative in the city where he lives to start an FCA there because they need student leaders! I'm so stoked that he has that opportunity to help him in his faith amidst a broken family. It reminds me of my encouragement from FCA in high school and how much God used that to help me while I  was going through rough times with family.  

God totally put His hand upon this camp. And I know it is because of how much our leadership staff and huddle leaders wanted to let God use us. A lot of us were nervous but the theme that it is all God's work, we just have to trust Him and let Him use us--ran a current theme in each of the huddles. Over 600 campers came:

Seeing my boys worship our amazing, Holy God was an increidble thing. 

The BEST part about camp was that 6 of my boys re-dedicated their lives to Jesus Christ and one was SAVED! I had us all huddle around Josh and we prayed for Him, rejoicing, welcoming him to our family as brothers in Christ and prayed for this new journey as a follower of Jesus Christ. He is now made new, the dirt has been washed away, he has been made clean in God's eyes and is now fired up to live for Him. AMEN!!! C'mon now. 

If I came all the way over here to Cali just for that--more than worth it. 

Pray for Josh and all the boys as they venture into this new chapter of their lives in high school--that God would keep them strong amidst temptation and will grow daily in their walks with Jesus.
Along with many other conversations, I shared with them how our life is so short. I had them visualize a rope that went all the way to the ocean. On this rope, I had them picture me marking in red sharpie a very short line on that rope. I told them that mark on the rope is how short our lives are comared to eternity. When trials come in high school, look at the fact that this world isn't what we are living for. We are living vertically-minded, all for our KING! To remember this joy they are feeling. That, yeah, you may be satisfied for a little while in lusting, getting with girls, doing certain things, but that is all so temporary. I told them to HOLD ON and remember this joy they felt this whole week as a family--to encourage each other daily when they are back home and keeping each other accountable. I also will be sending them the book, "Every Young Man's Battle" when I get back home, as it was such an encouragement to me to stay pure at that age--and shaped my views of purity through a Biblical standard for life. I told them that how can a young man stay pure in today's crazy world?!! Cling to Jesus! He hates when us men lust--so much so that in Matthew 5:28-30, in the Sermon on the Mount, He said: "But I tell you, everyone who looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of the parts of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of the parts of your body than for your whole body to go into hell!" Right after I shared this passage, Josh had this shocking look on his face. He told us that right when I shared that verse, he was texting a girl and was about to say yes to her asking him if he wanted some inapropriate pictures of her. So, they were bout to be 'sexting' as I was leading this huddle. This was absolutely crazy because he showed us he typed the text 'sure' about to recieve these pictures. The Holy Spirit totally convicted him and he showed us that is exactly what he was about to text back. The whole huddle was going crazy--then he texted back to this girl-- READ MATTHEW 5:28-30! BAM! Ahhhhh!! That is GOD right there. He had me share this passage of Scripture (which wasn't even in the devotions we were going through) at this exact time. It was a real-time example of how in the world can a young man stay pure in this day and age? Go to God's Word to help you literally! Josh said this was now his testimony he was going to share with everybody and will look back on when times get hard in the battle of purity and when girls tempt him to do stuff. And, of course, what a great example for the rest of the huddle as well. God is so good. Jesus is so passionate on us being pure. I then shared this song with them that they vibed to: 

 

I shared the story of the apostle Paul and the persecution he faced. How he came from Saul to Paul. God loved him relentlessly. The theme of the camp was: relentless. God loves us relentlessly. It's nothing we can attain. In fact, we don't deserve His love at all. All we need to do is accept His amazing Grace and Gift, repent of our sins, and surrender our lives to Jesus. I told them to look to Hebrews 11--the hall of fame in the Bible; and also to those in the Bible as examples of learning from mistakes and how to carry out God's calling: "Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” -Matthew 28:18-20 

I had them memorize the camp-theme verse:

"But we are not those who draw back and are destroyed, but those who have faith and obtain life." -Hebrews 10:39
We will be strong. I am confident these boys won't be boys much longer but men after God's own heart. Please join me in prayer for Josh, our comedian and the one who brought life and joy to our group; for Noah, our cool cat, and vocal leader; for Jack, our knowledgeable and jack-of-all-trades, multi-talented dude; for Shane, our quiet leader, leading by action, and well-articulated, smart individual; for Stephen--where height means nothing and heart means everything, who reminded me a lot of myself--never stopping smiling; for Connor--keeping us accountable and on track, who desired to be present fully wherever we were; for Trevon, who is fully relevant to this world and I know will be in the heart of the locker room as one of the dudes, yet different because the light of Christ is shinging magnificintely through him.


THANK YOU to an incredible home church: Woodside Bible. Your support and prayers made a huge impact on this camp. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Everyday, I realize how blessed I am to be a member of an incredible Jesus-loving, service-focused, Bible-believing, strong community-centered church. This is what being a church is all about: 

"And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together andbreaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved." -Acts 2:42-47



HUGE SHOUT OUT to Gigs 4 Good. Man, Nich and Morgs--you're my boys and thank you for your support. Love you, fam...check out their organization at: http://gigs4good.org/ and facebook.com/gigsforgood . They're all about "Helping others help others". AMEN!

Huddle 29 is reppin Gigs 4 Good out here in UCLA on John Wooden Court!! 





I'm just trying me best to be a vessel for His Kingdom. It's all for Him! "I may be weak, but your Spirit's strong in me. My flesh may fail, but my God YOU NEVER WILL!"



 Les Steckel, president of FCA

Coaching on John Wooden Court: dream come true.

Let's go, men! Our generation has too many boys...let's not shrink back and be destroyed but be of those who have faith and obtain LIFE! MAN UP! 


God bless,
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment